Monday, November 22, 2010

Susan Boyle and Jean Baudrillard

So I listened to the Susan Boyle version of Wild Horses on Grooveshark and at first I thought "This is nice"
then I realized that it was starting to make me uneasy and I realized that horror that she must feel. She isn't Annie Lennox no matter how much she sounds like her. She is a simulacrum of Annie Lennox and realizing that, I realized it was Susan Boyle who epitomized the inevitable self referential hell that pop music has become.
She is a copy of a copy. This is not to say that she doesn't have her charm, she does. Still I think that she is ultimately empty calories, a post modern puzzle that has been born of such concepts as "musical dna" and the growing "reality tv" market. This of course means that reality and tv are now the same thing. Ordinary people all over the world who are acting like complete morons in hope that someone is pointing a camera at them.

No comments:

Post a Comment