Sunday, December 5, 2010

Christmas Culture club

Culture Club.  How I love thee...
First off I get to go to the gorgeous old PMA building, and that is always awesome.
It started (Or restarted should I say.) with only like seven or eight of us there.
The food is great and has gotten progressively better.
 The Music...eh, it can be hit or miss. The real problem is that the acoustics in the room they use are only suitable for some acts. When the wrong sort of act gets there, I go outside because the resonating sound quickly becomes dissonant. That is ok though. It is getting bigger now and one sees more Petty-Bourgeoisie, which is also okay (for now) they have money, and if their attendance benefits any artist...it is a winning situation.

General trends I don't like: bringing in weird stepford martini slingers...I don't know, this seems out of step with my image of culture club, but then again it's not all about me I suppose.

I think the artists should primarily remain local. Yes, it is nice to get a visitor, but c'mon, I know all of you Culture Club ladies know plenty of artists locally, and it helps the local art scene which in turn supports general culture and good times...once again, as a local artist, I am of course biased in this opinion.

So, blah blah blah, that is my general feeling about the event, Onto Christmas Culture Club
First impression is as one of the better ones. The double treat of Kristin Regan; a fine local photography instructor, and an artist that I am curious to see new work from, and the Multiple Sins exhibit; a selection of lithographed posters advertising vice in a generally Art Nouveau-Forties WWII Hollywood glam. So I was content there. The music, perfect, simply perfect for this setting and time. Laid back, jazzy, fun.
The food...Oh Snap! that is right, I finally got to taste their goodness...yummy to the max.
The alcohol;First let me say that this area is always great. The system works great, the only area I would improve is in estimating the amount of red wine needed to make it through a busy night. I see the logic behind the VIP table, it is a GREAT tool for driving new PMA membership...being a punk kid at heart, I almost cringe at anything VIP tho...as I my first instinct is to side with the proletariat-non VIP folks; but that is just my hang up...I think objectively it is the right move.

So good job all of you involved in the production of this event. The Christmas Culture Club was a success; I look forward to seeing what the new year will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment